I *love* garlic toast, although the garlic toast that they serve at most Italian restaurants is generally high in calories and fat, and is usually overly greasy. In an effort to find a better option, I recently created a very simple and quick recipe to create delicious low calorie garlic bread at home in my own kitchen! The recipe is fantastic and it makes perfect garlic toast for dipping into tomato sauce when eating spaghetti with my favorite whole wheat pasta or wildwood noodles.
Recipe for Low Calorie Garlic Toast
Ingredients (makes one serving)
- 1 english muffin (Thomas makes one that is only 100 calories and 1 WW point)
- 1 tablespoon of promise spread (or your favorite healthy butter substitute -- thanks for the great ideas yesterday!)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5 grams of fat free mozzarella cheese
(1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
(2) While oven is preheating, carefully cut your english muffin in half, and lightly toast it in your toaster
(3) Take your english muffin out of toaster and place on baking sheet
(4) Distribute half of the promise spread on each side of the muffin (it will start to melt)
(5) Mince the garlic (by hand, garlic press, or via a food processor) and then distribute it equally across both sides of the english muffin
(6) Weigh out the right portion of fat free cheese on your food scale), and then shred it with a cheese shredder
(7) Distribute the shredded cheese across both sides of the english muffin
(8) Place the baking sheet into the oven for 5-7 minutes (depending on how brown/crispy you want it)
(9) Carefully remove it from the oven and enjoy!
This whole recipe comes out to approximately 150 calories, and 2-3 weight watchers points. The calories/points will vary of course based on what english muffin or butter substitute you use.