Juliet's Low Calorie Egg Nog (makes *two* 83 calorie 1 cup servings)
1 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk (vanilla flavor) -- can use blue diamond almond breeze or pacific almond milk (either way should be 40 calories per cup)
1/3 cup of egg beaters (I buy cage free redieggs at Whole Foods, which I'll blog specifically about at some point)
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
nutmeg to taste
(Optional)1 tablespoon of low calorie whipped topping
- Put almond milk into sauce pan and cook on low heat
- Combine egg beaters, sugar, and brown sugar and cook in a separate pan on low heat stirring constantly (if you stir quickly it will get a bit thicker which is nice)
- Once both mixtures are warm (I try to get them as hot as possible without actually cooking the eggs), pour the egg mixture slowly into the almond milk pan, stirring frequently
- Cook combined mixture together on low heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly
- Add vanilla (if desired, the almond milk is already vanilla flavored)
- Pour into two glasses and refrigerate for half a day
- Add nutmeg to taste and enjoy!
- (Optional) Add a 1 tablespoon of low calorie whipped topping (adds 15 calories)
Very easy to make and each serving (a full cup) comes out to 83 calories with 3 grams of fat, and 1 gram of fiber (so only 2 weight watchers points).
By the way, if you like really "eggy" eggnog, you can increase your egg to almond milk ratio (for instance 1 cup of almond milk with a quarter of a cup of egg beaters). I made a batch this way at one point, but I found it a bit strong for my personal taste. Luckily adding a bit more egg doesn't add too many calories.