Light Bread Stuffing Recipe (yields 15 servings half cup servings)
- 1/4 cup Promise Activ Spread
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (my favorite is made by a company called Imagine)
- 2 large stalks of celery (yielding 1.5 cups chopped)
- 1 large onion (yielding 1 cup of onion)
- 15 sliced whole wheat bread (yielding 9 cups of soft bread cubes)
- 3 cups of thinly sliced apples (read about the health benefits of apples)
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1.5 teaspoons of fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground sage
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional since the Promise Activ has salt in it)
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
(2) Melt butter and vegetable broth in Dutch Oven (or in a frying pan) over medium-high heat
(3) Cook the celery and onion in the broth, stirring occasionally, until they are tender
(4) Combine remaining ingredients with broth and celery mixture (transfer to an oven safe casserole dish if necessary). Cover, put into the oven, and cook until the stuffing registers 165 degrees (approximately 35-45 minutes).
Depending on what bread you use (I assumed each slice was 100 calories but it will vary depending on your bread), this recipe will come out to approximately 160 calories per serving, with 3 grams of fiber, and 2.5 grams of fat (or 3 weight watchers points). If you want to reduce the calories/points, consider removing the raisins, or reducing the amount of apples.
I hope you enjoy your stuffing and have a great Thanksgiving! See you next Monday!