Here are a few tips to help you make great popovers:
(1) If you use a muffin tin to make them, avoid using the interior cups as the popovers will not rise as well. You may want to put a couple of tablespoons of water into the interior cups so they do not overheat.
(2) You can substitute whole wheat flour into the recipe to make it more healthy. You may also want to consider using 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all-purpose flour (or other combinations) depending on your needs.
(3) Don't open the oven door while cooking the popovers. The heat is needed to help them rise!
(4) Be careful about which rack you put the popovers on. You do not want the tops to burn.
(5) If you use a large muffin pan, prioritize the outer cups over the inner cups as the popovers will not rise as well in the inner cups. You can put a couple of tablespoons of water into any cups that you don't use to help protect your pan from overheating.
You can put jelly or other toppings on popovers, although I have to say that I love them plain. Their unique texture really goes a long way!
Photo by inarges